The Royal Jordanian Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays is the result of new rules put forth by the U.S. Department of Transportation to address airline service during conditions that result on long on-board delays for passengers. This contingency plan is explicitly separate from and not a part of Royal Jordanian' contract of carriage.
Royal Jordanian fully complies with all U.S. Department of Transportation rules regarding lengthy tarmac delays. Our contingency plan is intended to provide you with information regarding Royal Jordanian' policies and procedures for handling your travel on our airline in the event of a lengthy ground delay for your aircraft.
This plan has been coordinated with airport authorities (including terminal facility operators where applicable), at each U.S. large hub airport, medium hub airport, small hub airport and non-hub airport that Royal Jordanian serves, as well as its regular U.S. diversion airports
This plan has been coordinated with US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at each large US hub airport, medium hub airport, small hub airport, and non-hub airport that is regularly used for international flights, including diversion airports
Limits of lengthy onboard ground delays
Lengthy onboard ground delays can take place both during taxi-out prior to departure, and during taxi-in after landing. During both of these phases of travel, the following limits apply:
- For domestic flights, Royal Jordanian will not permit an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than three (3) hours.
- Prior to reaching three (3) hours, Royal Jordanian will return the aircraft to the gate, or another suitable disembarkation point, where passengers will be allowed to deplane.
- For international flights that depart from or arrive at a U.S. airport, Royal Jordanian will not permit an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than four (4) hours.
- Prior to reaching four (4) hours, Royal Jordanian will return the aircraft to the gate, or another suitable disembarkation point, where passengers will be allowed to deplane.
- Delays longer than these time limits may be necessary if :
- The pilot-in- command determines there is a safety-related or security-related reason why the aircraft cannot leave its position on the tarmac to deplane passengers; or
- Air traffic control advises the pilot-in-command that returning to the gate or another disembarkation point elsewhere in order to deplane passengers would significantly disrupt airport operations.
Passenger services during a lengthy onboard ground delay
- For all flights, Royal Jordanian will provide passengers with adequate food and potable water no later than two (2) hours after the aircraft leaves the gate (in the case of departure) or touches down (in the case of arrival) if the aircraft remains on the tarmac, unless the pilot in command determines that safety or security considerations preclude such service.
- For all flights, Royal Jordanian will ensure that operable lavatory facilities will remain available while the aircraft remains on the tarmac.
- For all flights, Royal Jordanian shall notify its passengers every 30 minutes of the status and reason for the tarmac delay, if known
- For all flights , Royal Jordanian shall notify its passengers 30 minutes after scheduled departure and every 30minutes thereafter that they have the opportunity to deplane, if the opportunity to deplane exist
- Royal Jordanian will provide access to medical treatment, and an opportunity to deplane in accordance with it contingency plan for length tarmac delays.
- The pilots will frequently communicate with Royal Jordanian' Operations Control Center, Station Operations and/or the Ramp Control Tower for updated information. The pilots and/or the flight attendants will keep the passengers informed.
Royal Jordanian has taken steps to ensure sufficient resources are available to implement this contingency plan for lengthy tarmac delays, when necessary.
To better serve passengers, Royal Jordanian has also coordinated this contingency plan for lengthy tarmac delays with the local airport authorities for all medium and large airports.
Royal Jordanian Customer Service Plan is the result of the new rules put forth by the U.S. Department of Transportation to address the key service elements that most affect our customers. This Customer Service Plan is explicitly separate from and not a part of Royal Jordanian' Contract of Carriage.
Our customer service plan is intended to provide you with information regarding Royal Jordanian' policies, procedures and methods for handling certain aspects of your travel on our airline, including those exceptions that may occur in your travel plans.
Offer the lowest fare available
Through its telephone reservations systems, website (rj.com), at airports and through city ticket offices, Royal Jordanian will offer the lowest fare available for which the customer is eligible based on the date, flight and Class of Service requested.
Royal Jordanian' agents are trained to offer customers the lowest available fare in the market. This includes all agents representing Royal Jordanian at our reservations centers, airport ticket counters and city ticket offices. Royal Jordanian' reservations' policy and practice dictates that all reservations agents sell the lowest available fare in a given market per flight segment unless otherwise specified by the consumer (i.e., First Class or unrestricted Coach). Reservations agents utilize automated methods through the computer reservations system to accomplish this.
Notify customers of known delays, cancellations and diversions
When unforeseen problems occur and flights are delayed, canceled or diverted, Royal Jordanian will make every effort to notify customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft, in a timely and accurate manner, with the best available information regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions.
Royal Jordanian policy is to provide updated announcements no later than every 30 minutes. Details of the delay will be announced as communicated via flight information found in the reservation and check-in computer system and from the Operation Control Center.
Cancellations prior to departure date
Royal Jordanian agents make every attempt to contact customers when their flight cancels prior to day of departure. The Reservations Department rebooks customers and handles callbacks for customers prior to the day of departure.
Flight cancellations at the airport
In the event of a flight cancellation, Royal Jordanian will do everything possible to accommodate customers on the next Royal Jordanian flight, providing space is available. Depending on the type of ticket purchased, the reason for the flight irregularity and availability, in most instances Royal Jordanian will also rebook customers on other airlines. Royal Jordanian will communicate to customers the reason for the cancellation and alternatives available.
You may cancel a reservation made on rj.com or through the Royal Jordanian call center within 24 hours of ticketing for a full refund by calling the Royal Jordanian call center at +96265100000 provided travel is more than one week from the date of purchase.
Services to mitigate passenger inconvenience from cancellations and misconnections
Non-diversion cancellations and missed connections
When a Royal Jordanian flight on which the customer is being transported is canceled or causes a missed connection, due to reasons within the control of Royal Jordanian, creating an overnight stay, for the customer, Royal Jordanian will provide one night's lodging.
Royal Jordanian will pay for: Hotel room (Royal Jordanian will not cover: room service, alcohol, or movies, laundry or other hotel services)
Ground transportation (if not provided by the hotel)
Passengers without baggage will be reimbursed upon presentation of receipts for reasonable incidentals such as toiletries needed until they are reunited with their baggage
Royal Jordanian will not provide hotel accommodations when a flight is canceled or causes a missed connection due to circumstances beyond our control, such as weather or Air Traffic Control decisions. Additional exceptions where Royal Jordanian will not provide hotel accommodations include:
- To a customer whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her origin point, point of scheduled temporary stay or his/her permanent domicile.
- When the destination designated on the customer's ticket, and the flight on which the customer is being transported, is diverted to another city or airport in the same metropolitan area due to weather or other causes beyond Royal Jordanian' control.
- In cases where Royal Jordanian will not provide one night's lodging, Royal Jordanian will provide passengers a list of hotels/motels, which offer a distressed rate when flight(s) are canceled.
Diversion (Flight is diverted to an alternate airport and canceled)
The pilots or flight attendants will advise the customers of the reason for the diversion. The customers may need to remain onboard. When time permits, the flight attendants will provide a limited beverage service. In the cases when the customers must deplane, all carry-on baggage and personal property must be removed from the cabin.
- Alternate airport operation:
Some irregular operations may require landing at alternate airports, with bus service to the final destination. It is acceptable to allow a customer to leave directly from an alternate airport without requiring him/her to travel to the final destination.
- City served by Royal Jordanian:
When a flight (aircraft) is diverted to a city served by Royal Jordanian or codeshare partner, and canceled, the customer service representatives in that city will reaccommodate customers on either the next Royal Jordanian flight or the next available flight via another carrier.
- City not served by Royal Jordanian:
When a flight (aircraft) is diverted and then canceled in a city not served by Royal Jordanian or a codeshare partner, the customer service manager in Royal Jordanian' Operations Control Center will make arrangements with other carriers and/or hotel accommodations. Once the flight attendants receive word from the flight deck, they will communicate to the customers the reason for the diversion (if they are permitted to disclose), estimated time of departure and/or accommodations. If the flight is canceled, subject to availability, passengers will be reaccommodated via another airline. The flight attendants and flight crew will be the Royal Jordanian representatives for the customers.
- Hotel accommodations & diversions to cities not served by Royal Jordanian or a Codeshare partner:
When alternate transportation is unavailable until the following day and overnight accommodations are required, the flight attendants and flight crew will communicate to the passengers which expenses Royal Jordanian will pay.
The following is a list of what Royal Jordanian will pay for providing the cancellation is due to anything other than weather:
- Hotel room (Royal Jordanian will not cover room service, alcohol, or movies)
- Ground transportation (if not provided by the hotel)
- Passengers without baggage will be reimbursed upon presentation of receipts for reasonable incidentals such as toiletries needed until they are reunited with their baggage.
On-time baggage delivery
Royal Jordanian makes every reasonable effort to deliver bags in a timely manner (within 24 hours) and will attempt to contact any customer whose unclaimed, checked luggage contains a name and address or telephone number.
An example of a situation that may prevent baggage from being returned within 24 hours is when the bag tag is missing and the identification on the outside of the checked baggage does not contain a phone number.
Royal Jordanian advises all customers to place identification on the inside and the outside of all checked baggage. This enables our agents to contact passengers who have not claimed their checked baggage. Agents are instructed to call the phone number listed on the bag tag should an unclaimed checked bag be found.
Customers must submit written notice of delayed baggage within four hours of flight arrival. When a customer reports a delayed bag, the baggage tracing system is used to initiate the search. Tracing efforts begin as soon as the delay is reported. Royal Jordanian realizes the concern and inconvenience and will do everything possible to quickly reunite the customer and their baggage.
When customers have made a claim within four hours of flight arrival and baggage is delayed for 24 hours or longer after making a claim, Royal Jordanian provides our customers interim expenses to purchase toiletries and clothing. The following guidelines apply:
- Reimbursement for reasonable interim expenses, such as toiletries will be considered upon submission of receipts
- Interim expense allowance is paid per ticketed customer, not per bag
- No compensation is allowable in the customer's domicile
- Receipts must be submitted for reimbursement [A1].
Properly accommodate passengers with disabilities and special needs
Royal Jordanian is dedicated to providing safe, convenient and reliable travel to all individuals. All Royal Jordanian employees are trained to comply with the Air Carrier Access Act (14 CFR Part 382). In accordance with the Air Carrier Access Act, Royal Jordanian will not discriminate against any disabled individual. Employees who interact with disabled passengers will exhibit kindness, awareness and respect. Royal Jordanian has employees that have been trained as Complaint Resolution Officials at every airport to answer questions.
For more information please click here for disabled passenger needing assistance
Royal Jordanian accepts unaccompanied minors five (5) years through fourteen (14) years of age on nonstop flights only. An escort service charge of $100 per direction applies to all unaccompanied minors on Royal Jordanian' flights. Minors’ age 15 through 17 years are accepted without restrictions. Children 15 and older are not subject to the unaccompanied minor policies.
Exception: Children 15 through 17 years of age can be made an unaccompanied minor at the parents' discretion by paying the escort fee. When the escort fee is paid, all unaccompanied minor policies and procedures will be followed.
Royal Jordanian will provide services and equipment for disabled individuals when requested by or on behalf of disabled individuals. Royal Jordanian will not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment or services. Examples of the services and equipment that will be provided to disabled individuals include:
- Assistance with boarding and deplaning and the use of ground wheelchairs, onboard wheelchairs, and ramp or mechanical lifts
- Provide lifts, ramps or aisle chairs to assist the disabled passenger where loading bridges are not available
- Onboard assistance with seating as part of the boarding and deplaning process, stowing and retrieving of carry-on items, and dining preparation such as opening packages or identifying food
- Provide telecommunication devices for the deaf (available toll-free (TDD) 24 hours per day, seven days per week)
- Permit accompanying service animals in the cabin free of charge
Meet essential needs during long on-aircraft delay
Royal Jordanian never intends to cause undue stress or harm to our customers. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, there may be times when an aircraft is either unable to take off or may have to wait for a gate to become available. In the event that something like this occurs, Royal Jordanian maintains contingency plans and policies. A plan has been developed for both arriving and departing aircraft.
Royal Jordanian will provide food, water, lavatory facilities, access to medical treatment, and an opportunity to deplane in accordance with it contingency plan for length tarmac delays.
The pilots will frequently communicate with Royal Jordanian' Operations Control Center, Station Operations and/or the Ramp Control Tower for updated information. The pilots and/or the flight attendants will keep the passengers informed.
There are certain taxes, fees and charges that are applied to your booking by Royal Jordanian Airlines, airport operators, governments or other authorities. Here you will find an explanation of those taxes, fees and charges.
Government, authority and airport charges
These are included in the price of your ticket and are levied by airport operators, governments, or other authorities.
Some airports may levy local taxes, fees or charges against passengers upon arrival or departure. These are not included in the price of your ticket and should be paid locally.
Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets.
Royal Jordanian Airlines applies a fuel surcharge on all flights to reflect the fluctuating price of worldwide oil.
The surcharge is based on flight duration and applies to all passengers, including children and infants travelling on Royal Jordanian Airlines operated international and domestic services.
*In line with the fare rules, a refund of the fuel surcharge can be made on fully flexible tickets only with unused flights in your itinerary.
Online booking fee
Royal Jordanian Airlines applies an online booking fee, from certain countries, for flight bookings made on rj.com.
The online booking fee is non-refundable.
rj.com booking fee rates
|For tickets originating in rj.com booking fee per person per ticket (or equivalent)|
|JOD 10.000 (Except AMM-AQJ = Zero)||Out of Amman|
|JOD 10.000 (Except AQJ-AMM = Zero)||Out of Amman|
|EUR 10.00 Except LONDON||Europe|
|USD 15.00||USA & Canada|
Offline booking feeRoyal Jordanian applies an offline booking fee that is vary per destination and Class of booking.
Customers can secure Seats with legroom space on flights operated by B787 and Airbus A330 in Economy Class cabin. The Seats with legroom space are available to passengers who meet the exit row seat safety requirements.
Seats are subject to availability on first come first served basis.
An additional fee that is paid on cash basis will be applied when requesting these seats as follows:
|Flights to/from||Amount per sector|
|New York , Chicago , Detroit, Montreal||100 USD $|
|Bangkok , Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur||75 USD $|
|London and other destinations||50 USD $|
How to book
Seats with legroom space can be requested at time of check-in at the airport or at a the city terminal.
Safety Requirements for Occupying Seats with Legroom Space
Seats with legroom space are located near the emergency exit doors and are subject to the flight safety guidelines. A passenger may be assigned Seats with legroom space if he or she meets the following safety requirements and will not obstruct emergency exits in a way of impeding the crew in their duties, obstructing access to emergency equipment or hindering aircraft evacuation:
- Be at least 15 years old of age at the commencement of the journey
- Be able to locate the emergency exit.
- Be able to read English well enough to understand these instructions, follow hand signals and oral directions given by cabin crew and assess whether opening the emergency exit will increase the hazards to which passengers may be exposed.
- Hear and speak well enough to understand English commands and be able to give information in English to cabin crew and other passengers during an emergency.
- Possesses the strength, dexterity or mobility to quickly open the exit, go through it, clear obstructions; stow or secure the emergency exit door so that it will not impede the use of the exit.
- Be able to assess, select and follow a safe path away from the emergency exit and be willing to help other passengers
- Be able to keep passengers away from the aircraft.
- Be able to assess the condition of an escape slide, activate the slide and stabilize the slide after deployment to assist others in getting off the slide.
- Have no responsibilities such as caring for small children that might prevent you from performing one or more of the applicable functions.
- Be able to perform these functions without causing yourself harm due to an existing condition.
- Baggage Allowance (Piece Concept) To/From USA & Canada
- Business Class
- 2 pieces, each piece not to exceed 32kg or 70 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- Children are entitled to the same allowance as adults for the applicable class.
- Infants not entitled to a seat, are allowed for:
- One piece, with max weight 23 Kg or 50 LB
- One carry-on fully collapsible stroller.
- Economy Class
- 2 pieces, each piece not to exceed 23kgs or 50 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- Children are entitled to the same allowance as adults for the Applicable class.
- Infants not entitled to a seat, are allowed for:
- One piece, with max weight 23 Kg or 50 LB
- One carry-on fully collapsible stroller.
- Business Class
- Business Class:
- 1st extra piece of luggage: 175 USD not to exceed 32 kg or 70 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- 2nd and 3rd extra pieces of luggage: 250 USD each not to exceed 32 kg or 70 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- 4th piece or more extra pieces of luggage: 400 USD each not to exceed 32 kg or 70 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- Economy Class:
- If Any of two pieces weigh more than 23 KG or 50 LB up to 32 KG or 70 LB: 100 USD per piece excess weight charge.
- 1st extra piece of luggage: 175 USD not to exceed 23 KG or 50 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- 2nd and 3rd extra pieces of luggage: 250 USD each not to exceed 23 KG or 50 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- 4th piece or more extra pieces of luggage: 400 USD each not to exceed 23 KG or 50 LB and sum of 3 dimensions not to exceed 158 cm or 62 inches.
- For any piece of luggage that the sum of 3 dimension exceeds 158 cm or 62 inches but does not exceed 203 cm or 80 inches : Charge of twice excess luggage is applicable .
- Carry-on luggage requiring extra seat, not over 75 KG (165 LB) shall not be included in free baggage allowance: Charge will be 75% of the applicable one-way adult fare for the class of service used.
Piece Concept: TO/FROM - USA/CANADA and AMM
When using the piece concept, the charges for the carriage of accompanied pets shall be Twice the normal excess baggage charge for the FIRST kennel weighing up to 70lb (32kg) and the kennel total linier dimensions (L+W+H) do not exceed 80 inches (203cm).Oversized/Overweight Conditional Cases:
- If the total weight (kennel+pet) surpasses 70lb(32 kg) up to 100lb(45Kg), three times the normal excess baggage charge provided that the kennel total linier dimension (L+W+H) remains below 80inches(203cm).
- If the kennel total linier dimension (L+W+H) is more than 80inches(203cm) up to 100inches(250cm), three times the normal excess baggage charge provided that the weight remains below 70lb(32 kegs)
- Four times the normal excess baggage charge if there is combination of weight and dimensions as in points 1 & 2 above.
- For kennels over 100lb(45Kgs) and/or 100inches(250cm), one excess baggage charge over the charges in points 1, 2, or 3 above for each additional 22lb(10kg) and/or for each additional 20inches(50cm).
- More than one kennel per passenger shall be charged twice the “applicable” rate of excess baggage for the 2nd/3rd, 4thetc. piece as specified on the excess baggage rules/rates (refer to 18.104.22.168).
- For destinations beyond AMM (to/from USA/Canada), one normal excess baggage charge will be added to ALL above calculations.
- Upon issuance of the UM ticket a service charge will be applicable for UM travel as follows (each way):
- Travel from/to RJ online stations USD60 (sixty) or equivalent Service Charge will apply.
- Travel from/to USA and Canada: USD60 (sixty) or equivalent Service Charge will apply.
- Travel to points beyond RJ gateways in USA and Canada (applicable only to UM aged between 12-15 years):
- USD100 (hundred) or equivalent Service Charge will apply