Our mission is to develop and implement strategies and programs for Royal Jordanian that supports the company's responsibility towards the environment and improve or maintain environment performance.
- Identify risks at each stage of RJ's operations and decide how they are to be controlled.
- Setting strategies, policies and practices that comply with environmental laws and regulations.
- Ensuring efficient resource utilization and energy consumption throughout the company.
- Minimizing the risk of mismanaging travel include pollution, climate change, traffic noise and pedestrian safety.
- Proposing solutions for waste reduction and proper waste disposal and recycling.
- Promoting environmental awareness, active participation and commitment of all staff.
- Building relationships with authorities (local and global) and communicating with the community through making social and environmental contributions.
- Assessing Royal Jordanian's operations and activities to address the environmental risks by conducting systematic inspection of facilities, equipment and work activities to ensure that workplace precautions are in place.
- Comprehending environmental legislation and regulation, and any other requirements to which Royal Jordanian subscribes.
- Developing and maintaining Environmental Management System (EMS) that provides a structured approach to help the company minimize its operations that affect the environment and to help ensure compliance with industry regulations and corporate commitments.
- Achieving the specific environmental targets and objectives the Corporation has developed through introducing environmental programs that will help in:
- Improving use of resources (materials, processes, equipment, and facilities)
- Improving fuel efficiency of the fleet.
- Manage and improve energy consumptions in the organization.
- Minimizing generation of waste, emissions and traffic noise.
- Minimize the use of hazardous material and generation of hazardous waste.
- Conserving water and management controls of dealing with water and chemical storage.
- Recycling materials and enhance the use of recycled products.
- Developing environmental campaigns to facilitate mutual understanding and contribution of stakeholders to gain environmental excellence.
- Our strategy is to ensure fully contribution of our share of global carbon dioxide emission reductions by participation and comply with emissions reduction schemes all over the world.
RJ Environmental Management Plan
Royal Jordanian Airlines has its own comprehensive programs for minimizing its impact on the environment which are widely recognized as being among the most responsible and progressive in the industry. Royal Jordanian Cooperated with many outsources organizations to set up an environmental management plan (EMP) for RJ which compliant with relevant international and Jordanian environmental legislation, that identifies, prevents, controls and monitors adverse environmental impacts associated with the airline operations.
- Regulatory Compliance
Royal Jordanian aims to develops and implements the local and international regulations and requirements relating to environmental matters, incl; Coordinates the implementation of national aviation regulations, requirement and standards; Evaluates programs aiming at meeting these requirements; and Evaluates environmental assessments of proposed projects that are related to air transport. These regulatory bodies are like; Jordan Civil Aviation Regulatory Commission (CARC), Jordan Ministry of Environment (MoE), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), IATA, ACCO and others.
- Emission & CO2
Aviation is different from other energy-using activities. Currently it makes about 2% of the global CO2 emission from the emission produced by aircrafts due to fuel consumption, but it is raising fast. Aviation emissions of CO2 have the same effect on climate as terrestrial emissions, from power stations, industry or transport sources.
Ground support equipment in total is usually the second largest contributor to local air pollution at an airport. It includes emissions from the non moving aircraft (e.g. Auxiliary Power Units, APU), all Ground Support Equipment (including GPU) for handling aircraft, and all vehicles circulating on airside premises.
Royal Jordanian Airlines included emissions trading scheme (EU-ETS) in it's targets and mission starting January 2010. The affected operators should ensure that they monitor the additional flights covered by the scheme.
Key elements in selecting new aircraft with their engines and Ground Support Equipment (GSE) are fuel consumption, emissions, and noise levels.
With advances in aircraft-engine technology over the last few decades, noise levels have been greatly reduced. RJ always aims to renewing its fleet by selecting the most environmental friendly aircrafts and engines to reduce noise levels.
- Recycling and Disposal
Environment protection is an important element in the airline's strategy that taken into account in all operations and maintenance processes. RJA has been working hard to reduce all pollutants – from aircraft and Ground Support Equipment (GSE) emissions, starting with the gas used in fire extinguishers, aircraft air-conditioning units and waste hazardous materials in compliance with Jordanian Ministry of Environment standards.
In many applications of paints, solvents and similar products, Royal Jordanian maintenance facilities at the airport collect paint-remover waste, oil used for the engines of aircrafts and GSEs, on barrels and chemically processes then it collected by an outsources contractors to be safely transferred and recycled to reuse.